Knee Pain is a common knee problem that can start in any of the bony structures compromising the knee joint (femur, tibia, fibula), the kneecap (patella), or the ligaments, muscles, tendons, and cartilage of the knee. The most common problem in the knee joint is ligament injuries and osteoarthritis.
Knee pain can start or increase by physical activity, obesity, muscles, and their movements, and be triggered by other problems (such as a foot injury or hip and back problems).
The knee joint is a complex structure. A knee examination is essential to determine if a significant knee injury has occurred. A good knee assessment will guide the best treatment. If there is little or nothing abnormal is found in the knee joint, examine the hip and lumbar spine. Referred pain from the hip and foot is a common cause of knee pain.
- Knee pain can affect people of all ages. Knee pain affects approximately 25% of people, and its prevalence has increased by almost 65% in the last 20 year.
History of Knee Pain:
- Knee Pain: nature of pain, duration of pain, location of pain, speed of onset.
- A ‘popping’ or ‘snapping’ sound may be due to the rupture of a ligament.
- Swelling: rapid swelling (0-2 hours) may be due to fracture, ACL or PCL rupture, and patellar dislocation. Gradual swelling (6-24 hours) can be due to an effusion which may occur because of meniscal injury. Swelling over 24 hours, with no history of trauma, can be due to septic arthritis or inflammatory arthritis.
- Locking or clicking sound can be due to a loose body and may be due to meniscal injury.
- The knee giving way can be due to instability (eg, ACL injury) or muscle weakness.
- Night pain or pain at rest is due to a bone tumour. So ask about weight loss.
- It is worse at rest and stiffness on waking that lasts more than 30 minutes may be due to inflammatory polyarthritis.
- Also about another past medical history, to identify the causing factor located at another joint.
Causes of Knee Pain
Acute knee injury: It can happen due to a fall, sudden twist, abnormal movement, accident like ligament injuries medial or meniscal injury, MCL, LCL, PCL, or ACL.
- knee fractures and dislocations, distal femoral fractures, proximal tibial and fibular fractures.
- Patellar tendon rupture.
Global knee pain:
It can happen due to the aging process, and some inflammation. It affects the whole joint like:
Physiotherapy treatment plays important role in the case of knee pain. Consulting a specialist ensures effective treatment can be employed to resolve the root cause of the musculoskeletal problem. At the rid of pain physiotherapy Clinic, our patients are given personalized healthcare in terms of pain alleviation and management of pain, and post-surgical rehabilitation. Multiple conditions can be treated with the physiotherapy treatment which includes:
- Jumpers Knee/Patellar Tendinitis
- Runners Knee/IT Band Syndrome
- ACL/PCL Tears and Postsurgical Rehabilitation
- Meniscus/Knee Cartilage Injuries and Post-Surgical Rehabilitation
- MCL/LCL Tears
- Patellofemoral Syndrome
- Fat pad impingement
- Patellofemoral misalignment
- Baker’s cyst
- Muscle strain
- Osgood’s Schlatter Syndrome