Before going through the benefits of Cupping Therapy let us understand What is Cupping Therapy in Physiotherapy briefly.
Cupping therapy is an old form of alternative medicine in which a therapist puts special cups on the skin for a few minutes to create suction. It is used for many problems like pain, inflammation, blood flow, relaxation back pain, hair growth and well-being, and deep-tissue massage.
The cups may be made of:
along with the benefits of cupping, there are some risks of harm, especially from wet cupping and fire cupping. Bruising and skin discoloration are among the adverse effects of cupping.
Different Types of Cupping Therapy:
At first, Cupping was performed using animal horns. With the passage of time bamboo and ceramic were used for cupping. During that time suction was primarily created with the use of heat. Cups were heated with fire and then applied to the skin.
As they cooled, suction created and the cups drew the skin inside. Now a days cupping is often performed using glass cups. They are also made of plastic and silicone.
There are four main types of cupping therapy:
• Dry cupping: normal suction is done with the use of fiber cup, glass cup or silicon cup.
• Wet cupping: therapist gives the superficial cuts on the superficial layer of the skin and cup is applied. it creates both suction and controlled medicinal bleeding.
• Dynamic cupping: moving suction cups are used over the area which we want to release with the help of oil or moisturizer.
• Flash cupping: quick and repeated suction and release of cups is done on an area of the body.
Fire cupping: a flammable substance such as alcohol swab or cotton is used in a cup and set it on fire. As the fire goes out, cup is put upside down on the skin.
Various researches or studies have been done to prove the benefits of cupping therapy. A 2018 review of studies includes the benefits of cupping therapy in a variety of conditions that can be categorized as either localized or systematic diseases.
Cupping therapy reduces symptoms by promoting peripheral blood circulation and reducing inflammation.
According to a 2017 study, the mechanical effect of cupping is to improve local blood flow and release of underlying tissue.
A 2019 study said that no single theory exists to explain the whole effects of cupping, but some other theories also include that
• Cupping therapy alter pain signal
• increased blood circulation with the release of nitric oxide
• stimulate the immune system with reduction of local inflammation
• increase the flow of lymph in the lymphatic system
• decrease uric acid and cholesterol
Effects of cupping therapy:
1. Therapist will put cups on skin.
2. Patient will feel a sucking sensation and pressure or mild pain under the cups are suctioned.
3. Therapist uses heat In case of fire cupping.
4. According to the type of cupping, sensitivity and problem of the patient, therapist leave you to rest for a few minutes before removing the cups.
5. Patient’s skin may turn red and show light bruising after the removal of cups.
6. Marks will disappear within the 7 days of cupping therapy done.
Cupping Therapy Treatments in Gurgaon Sector 31 :
Cupping therapy may help with the following conditions, among others:
• lower back pain
• neck and shoulder pain
• headache and migraine
• knee pain
• facial paralysis
• lumbar disc herniation
• cervical spondylosis
• Nerve pain
• carpal tunnel syndrome
• Tennis elbow
• Muscle stiffness
• Post gym or workout stiffness
• Hair growth
• rheumatoid arthritis
Till now we’ve discussed a bit of detailed information about What is Cupping therapy and how it is scientifically effective and beneficial for your pain and as physiotherapy treatment, Now let us look at the Cupping therapy benefits.
Benefits of cupping therapy:
1) Cupping therapy is used to release muscle stiffness or tightness
2) It helps to relieve pain
3) It increases blood circulation
4) Cupping therapy releases toxins from the body
5) It helps to relieve swelling
6) It promotes relaxation and reduces anxiety
7) Cupping therapy improves digestion
8) It gives relief to breathing difficulties
9) It helps in lymphatic drainage
We hope you find this short article informative and useful for your query. For any physiotherapy treatments and consultations talk to our physiotherapist Dr Neetu Rathi one of the best female physiotherapists in Gurgaon.