So, in this short article, you will get to know about the major causes of neck pain and along with that we’ll discuss the physiotherapy solutions to this problem, that is Neck Pain Physiotherapy Exercises or Physiotherapy exercises for Neck pain.
Before we move further with our article, here is what you need to know about What is Neck Pain?
Neck pain is the most common problem nowadays, with two-thirds of the population having neck pain at some point in their lives .it is more common after the COVID pandemic. Neck pain may occur due to muscular tightness in both the neck and upper back, and pinching of the nerves between the cervical vertebrae. The bone’s misalignment, ligaments, muscle strain and inflammation or injury are some causes of neck pain or stiffness.
If you’re suffering from neck pain or finding the physiotherapy treatment for neck pain then read this article till the end, you will get to know everything about neck pain physiotherapy exercises or treatment in this last step by step.
Before we look into the physical therapy exercises for neck pain let us understand the common neck pain causes
Causes of neck pain:
There are multiple reasons for neck pain like,
6)Herniated cervical disk or disc bulge
8)Muscle tension and strain
9)Tooth procedures is done in past( sometimes)
12) unhealthy lifestyle
As we discussed the reasons now, this introduces one main question that is how do we get to know about the neck pain problem, means what are the symptoms of neck pain that can lead to a major physical pain and problem for us. Right?
For that, below are the major symptoms of neck pains in female, males or adults.
Sign/ Symptoms of Neck Pain:
· Severe neck pain
· Difficulty in neck movements
· Trouble swallowing or breathing
· Pain that radiates down your arms or legs
Treatment of neck pain:
Now, let us see the solutions to this pain and how physiotherapy help in neck pain right?. So,
Neck Pain Physiotherapy Treatment is one of the most common treatments for neck pain. Physiotherapy treatment works on the reduction of pain, stiffness, headache, and eye pain, and begin an exercise program of strengthening and stretching exercises of the neck.
The specific therapeutic modules and Neck Pain Physiotherapy Exercises, as well as the duration of the treatment plan, can vary from person to person.
Goals of Physiotherapy for Neck Pain
Goals of the Physiotherapy for neck pain include the following:
• Reduce pain and stiffness
• Improve head and neck range of motion
• dynamic strengthening of the neck and its supporting muscles
• preventive ergonomics advice from recurring
• improvement of the posture
Neck Pain Physiotherapy Treatment Modules:
There are 2 common forms of physical therapy:
• Passive physiotherapy:
Electrotherapy: It includes the treatments being applied without effort from the patient. various treatment methods are available, such as applying ice packs hot packs, IFT, TENS, ultrasound, Shockwave, traction etc. The goal of electrotherapy is to help reduce pain and swelling.
Advanced manual therapy: it is also the passive treatment module which works on the elimination of causing factors of neck pain. It is the most effective treatment too. It includes cupping therapy, dry needling, myofascial release, mobilisation, chiropractic therapy, osteopathy, advanced manual therapy, neurodynamic etc.
• Active physical therapy:
It is the treatment part that the patient does self. By improving strength and flexibility in the neck, these muscles may become less painful and better able to maintain good posture.
Physiotherapy Exercises for neck pain:
A) Neck Isometric:
1. Sit on a chair with your back supported and your head in a neutral position. Place your hand across your forehead. Push your head forward while firmly resisting the movement of your head with your hand. Push for 10 seconds, then relax, and repeat 10 times.
2. Similarly, place your hand against the back of your head and push your head backwards and resist with your hand. Do it 10 times.
3. Do the same on both sides of the neck. Try to side bend your neck and resist it with your hand without bending. Repeat the same 10 times.
B) Chin tuck:
While lying on your back with your head in a neutral position, place your fingers on your chin and push downward so your chin tucks. Repeat it 10 times and stop if you feel pain while doing the exercise.
C) Shoulder shrug:
Sit on the chair with relaxed shoulders and neck. Lift the shoulders as you try to touch your earlobes and slowly bring them down. Repeat the movement 10 times.
D) Shoulder circle:
Sit on the chair with relaxed shoulders and neck. Move the shoulders clockwise and anticlockwise slowly. Repeat the exercises 10 times.
E) Side stretch:
Sit on the chair and bend your neck to one side as much as you can go. Put slight overpressure to stretch the neck muscles and to relax the load of the muscles.
Till now we’ve discussed almost everything about neck pain like its causes and neck pain physiotherapy exercises, and treatments. Now it is also very important to know neck pain preventive measures so that we can monitor our activities and take the right steps in order to prevent such pains.
So, below are the neck pain preventive measures for neck pain.
Preventive measures For Neck Pain :
Most neck pain is because by poor posture which accelerates the wear and tear of joints and age-related wear and tear of joints. To prevent neck pain, keep your neck aligned. Some simple ergonomic advice and changes in daily routine can help a lot like:
· Use good posture. When standing and sitting, make sure your neck and shoulders are in a straight line over your hips and your ears are in a straight line with your shoulders.
· Take frequent breaks after every 30 minutes. In case of long work hours at the computer, get up, move around and stretch your neck, shoulders, and arms.
· Adjust your desk, chair and computer so that the monitor is at eye level. Knees and hips should be in line. Use chair armrests to support the elbows. Use a headset or speakerphone while taking calls.
· quit smoking and drink 3-4 litre of water.
· Avoid carrying heavy bags with straps over one shoulder. Distribute on both shoulders equally.
. Sleep in a good position. Use a small pillow under the neck. Avoid sleeping on Tommy.
In this article, we discussed step by step information on neck pain physiotherapy exercises and solutions to the pain, Now if you’re looking for any physiotherapist who can help you with the pain then below are the details to contact.
Thank You and Take Good Care of yourself!